Calendar of Events
Lina Bo Bardi : Visionary Architect - Part 2
AIA CES 1.5 LU
When: 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM MONDAY, MARCH 23
Where: At The Center
The second part of two evening panel discussions celebrating 100 years since the birth of architect Lina Bo Bardi, the Italian-Brazilian architect, whose contributions to Brazilian architecture, art, and design have echoed through several generations and into current culture. Few people understood genuine Brazilian culture like she did. Her deep sensitivity about the Brazilian identity is prevalent in her design sensibility and solid technical knowledge", says Denise Hochbaum, brazilian architect who co-organized the event. "Lina Bo Bardi was much more than a professional architect; she was an innovator who defined a new aesthetic, and paved a way for new forms of architectural production
This event not only brings the opportunity to revive her model of production, but also highlights the fact that her thoughts remain current and even avant-garde today. Surely architects, designers, theater professionals, critics of art, students of architecture, and eventually, a whole new audience will be interested in receiving a high amount of information about her, along with stimuli for future ideas.
We have invited, for this evening, the architects who had planned and curated important exhibitions celebrating her legacy. These precious materials, part of her collection, belong to the Institute Lina Bo Bardi and Pietro Maria Bardi in Sao Paulo, Brazil. This panel will discuss and present the different conceptions and proposals that resulted in original and creative shows. This roundtable is composed of:
- Marcelo Ferraz, architect and curator of Lina bo Bardi's restrospective in 1995 and "Lina Bo Bardi: Politic Architecture" at Sesc Pompeia, Sao Paulo in 2014.
- Giancarlo Lattorraca, architect, director of Museu da Casa Brasileira, Sao Paulo, Brazil and curator of "Ways of Showing: the Architecture Exhibition of Lina Bo Bardi", at Museu da Casas Brasileira in 2014.
- Renato Anelli, architect, curator and director of Instituto of Lina Bo Bardi. He will describe the role of this Institute in keeping this collection fresh, allowing her memory to stay alive by her furniture, graphics, architectural projects, books and personal objects.
- Noemi Blager (by Skype): architect and curator from Buenos Aires, Argentina, currently based in London. She is the curator of "Lina Bo Bardi: Together", initiated by the British Council to create long-term connections between British and Brazilian designers and architects.
- Moderator: Yehuda E. Safran studied at Saint Martin's School of Art, the Royal College of Art, and University College, London the subjects Art, Architecture and Philosophy, respectively. He has published articles in several magazines. Currently, he directs the Potlatch Journal and the Research Lab for Art and Architecture, and teaches at Columbia University Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation and Pratt Institute.
Organized by: AIANY Cultural Facilities Committee
Price: Free for AIA members; $10 for non-members
INPLUS -Interior Design
STUDIO ARTHUR CASA
SAGEWOOD - CONSTRUCTION
GENERAL CONSULATE OF BRAZIL IN NY
EMBASSY OF BRAZIL IN USA
THE ARCHITECTURE NEWSPAPER